Can your cats do tricks?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jenny Heart, May 16, 2012.

1. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I know dogs tend to be able to do tricks. They can fetch a stick, or chase a ball, but my cats do no tricks. Does anyone know about cats that are able to do tricks? I don't see why they can't do tricks, even though I've never seen any do any type of trick.

Jenny Heart, May 16, 2012
  2. Jenny Heart

violino Well-Known Member

Mine can't but I've heard they can and watched training with so called clicker - it's mostly for dog training but some people try with other animals as well ;)

violino, May 16, 2012
  3. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

Cats are too....independent and stubborn usually. Yes, some can do tricks with training, but for the most part, cats really don't care to. They aren't interested in earning your affection or doing silly things in order to get treats like dogs are. They tend to just stick up their noses and move on, hehe.

Jessi, May 17, 2012
    Mystique likes this.
  4. Jenny Heart

Sometimes it would be usefull if cats wanted to earn a treat :p They are too independent sometimes and it'd be nice to be able to teach them anything, not only cuddle them :p

violino, May 18, 2012
  5. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

Here's a cat that can do all sorts of tricks!

Jessi, May 19, 2012
  6. Jenny Heart

Belligerent Well-Known Member

The only trick my cat does is when I hold her favorite brush in the air, she will stand on hind legs and rub her face against it. It's not really a "trick" but I think it is TOO cute.

Belligerent, May 20, 2012
  7. Jenny Heart

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Watching that video I get the impression that the cat wasn't really that enthusiastic about doing the tricks. Generally when I see a dog doing tricks, you can see that it's having a lot of fun doing it. Just watch Pudsey and you will see what I mean.

Victor Leigh, May 20, 2012
  8. Jenny Heart

Mystique Well-Known Member

Nope, not that I know of. I can't be bothered to find out if they could do tricks. I'm fine with them being just the way they are. I can just see the sarcastic look on Snowy's face if I taught her some tricks.

Mystique, May 21, 2012
  9. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, the cat obviously isn't thrilled with it. It doesn't seem to be enjoying it at all.

Then again, dogs seem to be excited by -everything- and they'll do tricks, no matter how ridiculous, simply because they're excited by the possibility of a treat.

Jessi, May 21, 2012
  10. Jenny Heart

Anna T Active Member

I've heard of cats that can and will do tricks on command, but none of mine ever have despite my efforts. And I honestly haven't tried since I was a kid. Now I know better -- most cats are far too independent.

Anna T, May 23, 2012
  11. Jenny Heart

Ja'cobeC Member

None of my cats are trained to do any tricks. They may do something interesting while they are playing, but I love to watch them do what they like to do and play. I have seen them do some funny things while they were playing. However, they are not trained or taught anything dealing with tricks.

Ja'cobeC, May 25, 2012
  12. Jenny Heart

btatro Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Cats aren't really meant or known for doing tricks. They usually also do not have the personality that is apt for wanting to learnt a "trick". My cats enjoy their cat lives of sleeping, playing, and hunting outside :)

btatro, May 26, 2012
  13. Jenny Heart

OMG, I can't believe what I see o_O I cannot imagine how it is possible or how it would be possible with my cats.. Wow.

violino, May 27, 2012
Ask a Question