cat collars

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jennymoon, Mar 13, 2010.

1. jennymoon

jennymoon Member

i need to buy a new collar for my cat as the on he has always clips of. any recommendations on collar types appreciated

jennymoon, Mar 13, 2010
  2. jennymoon

catlover2 Well-Known Member

I am not a big fan of cat collars. I just do not feel that they are safe. I worry about them getting hung up on things around the house while I am gone. I would hate to come home and find any one of my three babies hung because of a cat collar.

catlover2, Sep 16, 2010
  3. jennymoon

MarinaRose Member

You could try going to PetCo or Walmart for a cat collar. Both my cats have collars. The difference between cat collars and dog ones, is that there is a safety feature on cat collars. If one of my cats got its collar snagged on something, the collar would unclip, releasing the cat.

MarinaRose, Apr 11, 2013
  4. jennymoon

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I ended up getting my collars from Dollarama, which is likely why Bandit was able to get through his. If your cat is not to curious, you can get some nice little one from Dollarama with a bell.

Scottyxx, Apr 12, 2013
  5. jennymoon

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

My cats don't climb or get into stuff very much, so I usually get them small dog collars. I hate that cat collars always have bells on them, that just gets on my nerves! And the safety clasp? I don't like it much. I understand the purpose of it, but it's something my cats never need. I take them on leashes sometimes, like when we go to the vet (carrier in public, leash in the car and in the office itself) and an actual cat collar would simply come off and I'd lose them! I'd suggest going to Walmart and finding one that suits your cat. Either in the cat section or, like me, in the small dog section.

blurinoctober, Apr 19, 2013
  6. jennymoon

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

The only thing I would recommend is that you should not get one of the anti-flea collars. We put one on our cat once and it gave her a really bad chemical burn. There was a spot on her neck where her hair never grew back. It was not obvious because the hair around it covered it up. However, we checked once in a while and found she always had that bald patch.

GavinMcresty, May 3, 2013
  7. jennymoon

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

It is likely a tea-tree collar you used. Tea tree is a great natural remedy to keep fleas away, but the bad thing is that in large amounts it can be deadly, and dangerous,as you saw with the burn. These collars are generally designed for dogs who can withstand more tea tree oil than cats, thus for dogs the collar is fine, but for cats, it is bad!

Scottyxx, May 6, 2013
Ask a Question