Cats and hot weather

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by magickat, Feb 17, 2012.

1. magickat

magickat Well-Known Member

With all the cats I have had over the years I have noticed that when the weather gets hot the females seem to love it and lay in the sun for hours, whereas the males seem to get fed up and mope about, trying to find a cool spot.

One of the females I had as a teenager used to sunbathe with me in the garden :)

magickat, Feb 17, 2012
  2. magickat

Carolinagirl Member

My cats lays in sun spots year round. She is forever, hunting the window that has the most sun shining.

Carolinagirl, Feb 17, 2012
  3. magickat

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

All my cats love the sun and warmer weather but they are inside where it is air conditioned. Eventually I would like to build on a sun porch that the cats can hang out in and soak up the sun.

SheWolfSilver, Feb 18, 2012
  4. magickat

Yes my cats do that too, even in the winter if the sun is shining they will lay on the windowsill and sunbathe. It also helps that most of our heaters are under the windows lol

magickat, Feb 18, 2012
  5. magickat

inTHEsane Active Member

I am pretty sure it was the opposite with my two cats growing up. There was also a 5 lb difference and couple years older male compared to my female. She was the one more actively looking for the woods or lake not just sunbathing. She also was mostly dark haired, compared to his white belly and light brown fur back, so he could take the heat a lot more then tigers smaller lean frame wrapped in black heat absorbing fur coat of hers.

inTHEsane, Feb 26, 2012
  6. magickat

That's interesting. I have also noticed that my tom cat is the only one who will regularly go out when the weather is very cold. The girls all stay in snuggled up with me :)

magickat, Feb 27, 2012
  7. magickat

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

I expect my Sunny Girl to prefer warm weather and sun heated window sills since she was born and raised in Puerto Rico. But I notice my whole tribe, males and females prefer warm spots, like widow sills with
    Sun shining in and laying close to the radiators.

Micheleteresa, Feb 27, 2012
  8. magickat

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

We don't have winter and snow where I live. However we have rain and rain and more rain. So when the sun finally comes out, my cats are all outdoors, sunning themselves. Like this one here:

[​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Feb 29, 2012
  9. magickat

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

Yes for some reason my cats love to lay in the sun, like they are getting a sun tan! My dog does it as well, it must have something to do with animals and staying warm. I know they sure do love it. My cats, lay on the deck and enjoy the sun all day long.

Wahcashmom, Mar 1, 2012
  10. magickat

Alli Well-Known Member

My boy cat, who is shorthaired, likes to be warm all the time- even on the hottest days he will prefer a sunny spot. The fluffier girl will sit in the sun on cold days and go in the shade on warmer days. It's funny how they all have their own preferences.

Alli, Mar 11, 2012
  11. magickat

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

The cats where I live love the morning sun. When it gets hot in the afternoon, they prefer to relax in the shade.

Victor Leigh, Mar 11, 2012
  12. magickat

steph84 Well-Known Member

My long haired cat does not like the heat, which is understandable, and spends most of the summer indoors. He will lay out by the windows and nap on the window sill or near a shady spot on the sofa, but he hates hot weather. I live in Los Angeles and we have sun year round. He likes going out for most of the day, but those summer days are spent on cold sheets.

steph84, Mar 12, 2012
  13. magickat

wils172 Active Member

Doesn't sound much different than most humans lol

wils172, Mar 13, 2012
  14. magickat

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

All my cats gets all excited when I open the windows so they can look out, and also feel the sun on them. I try to keep the window blinds open, even when it is too hot, so they can feel the sun at least through the window. Sunshine has a way of boosting their mood, and that helps better health and wellness.

Jenny Heart, May 5, 2012
  15. magickat

Belligerent Well-Known Member

My cat loves the sun (she'll always sit where the sun is shining through the window) but she hates the heat. I notice when it is hotter than about 75 degrees in the house, she will refuse to lay on her pink fluffy pillow. She'll sleep on the tile in the bathroom or kitchen or sometimes she'll sleep on a cool spot on the bed. I try to keep the place cool for her because I know she is very affected by it.

Belligerent, May 5, 2012
Ask a Question