Do you take your cat to the groomer?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jenna, Feb 25, 2012.

1. jenna

jenna Member

I sometimes take my cats to the groomer. The boys are short-haired but the female has long very thick fur. Sometimes she won’t let me groom her. She doesn’t mind water but my other cats won’t go anywhere near it. The last time I took my cats to the groomer, I was charged $35 for each cat. Do you usually groom your cat’s fur?

jenna, Feb 25, 2012
  2. jenna

inTHEsane Active Member

I've never taken my cats to a groomer. I've never known a cat to need anymore then it's own baths, petting, and if they got too dirty or what not some special attention at home. I've had short medium and a really long hair cat before. The long hair actually was a stray, he had a solid mat of fur on both sides of him. After an agonizingly slow process in ninety degree whether of slowly trying to shave the mat off without cutting him, aka me covered in sweat and fur he was bald for a bit, then grew it all back and never had a problem. The initial shaving of him, I almost took him to a groomer, especially not having known/bonded with the cat much yet. In the end it turned out to be a great bonding experience with him, and although he hated me during, he sure loved me afterwards.

inTHEsane, Feb 25, 2012
  3. jenna

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

35 usd per cat? Wow, somebody is getting rich grooming cats. Here, I pay only 3.5 usd per treatment. Looks like you might save a bit of money by buying some grooming tools and doing the job yourself.

Victor Leigh, Feb 26, 2012
  4. jenna

steph84 Well-Known Member

Wow that is a deal! I get charged $45 for mine out there, but I always get the flea bath and the teeth cleaning so it bumps it up to $55 a visit plus tip. I have a long haired cat who needs regular grooming visits. His haircut costs more than mine! I now cut my own hair to save money!

steph84, Feb 26, 2012
  5. jenna

inTHEsane Active Member

Wow really people pay that much for simple grooming? What exactly is included in the initial $45 or $35 that you guys are charged?
    I should start my own business if that is the case. When you throw in a flea bath and teeth cleaning I can see for the higher price
    since some cats you just won't go unscratched giving them a bath no matter what.

inTHEsane, Feb 26, 2012
  6. jenna

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Why don't you cut your cat's hair by yourself and give yourself a treat by getting your hair done at a saloon? For a change.

Victor Leigh, Feb 27, 2012
  7. jenna

magickat Well-Known Member

I groom my cats myself at home, but they are all shorthairs. I imagine it must be difficult with some of the very long haired breeds, especially if they don't like being groomed!

magickat, Feb 27, 2012
    Micheleteresa likes this.
  8. jenna

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

I have never taken any of my pets to a groomer, but am about to take my big boy Rio. Because Mr Bombay loves to sleep in the bathroom sink, but trying to get him in there for a bath! Not happening and he really needs one. He was in pretty bad shape when I rescued him from brooklyn ACC but with a URI I was worried about bathing him so I just used a comb to get out as much dirt as possible from his coat and tail. But my decided to try some strawberry grooming spray on him and that just increased his need for a proper bath!! Now that the vet has confirmed his URI is all cleared up. Will make him an appointment at pet co to be groomed this week.

Micheleteresa, Feb 28, 2012
  9. jenna

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

I groom my own cats. I have 6 cats, and it cost a lot of money to take each of them to the groomer. They always love to be bathed, brushed and trimmed.

Wahcashmom, Mar 1, 2012
    Micheleteresa likes this.
  10. jenna

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

Thats great that all six love to be bathed, brushed and trimmed. I have some that do enjoy it and the rest, all but Rio, tolerate a bath, they all love to be brushed .

Micheleteresa, Mar 2, 2012
  11. jenna

steph84 Well-Known Member

I am impressed Wahcashmom! That is amazing. Grooming 6 cats is a lot of work. Trying to groom my little diva is a nightmare! He bites and once climbed up my shirt and clung on to the back of my neck while totally wet. I just learned how to cut my own hair by watching a few youtube videos and gladly spend the money on sending him off to the local groomers. Here is prince Kitty Love when he is not hating the water.

steph84, Mar 2, 2012
  12. jenna

btatro Well-Known Member

I never did. My cat did a wonderful job at grooming herself, and loved her daily brushing. We used to call her OCD because she would spend so much time cleaning!

btatro, Apr 14, 2012
  13. jenna

Jessi Well-Known Member

I don't. Mine do fine with grooming themselves or letting us do it. It makes sense if yours has issues or it gets out of hand, but I wouldn't want to pay for it regularly.

Jessi, Apr 15, 2012
  14. jenna

kinser Active Member

I used to groom my cat regularly - he was short-haired, but had a thick undercoat. The best tools I found for grooming were the Furminator and a rubber brush. I could get so much fur off that I couldn't believe there was a cat left over!

kinser, Apr 17, 2012
  15. jenna

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I only took my cat to the vet when his fur got matted up. I usually just use the 30 dollar brush on their fur, to keep them looking great. It saves me money, due to the fact that it takes off their undercoat great. I just had to take my one long hair cat I have to the vet, because, I've had a death in the family, and, I forgot about brushing him as often. Now, he is doing great and well groomed. Go to your local vets office and ask about this brush. I think I bought one brush like this at Lowes. The ones usually sold at discount stores don't do a good job of taking the excess fur off of them.

Jenny Heart, Apr 19, 2012
Ask a Question