Do you take your outside cat to the vet?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by dashboardc33, Jul 22, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Active Member

I am just curious, for those who have outside cats, do you take your cat to the vet on a regular basis? I am sure most of you probably get rabies shots, but do you take them in for yearly check ups? Currently, I just have an inside cat, but my kids have been begging me for another cat. If I got another one, it would probably be mostly an outdoor cat. Hopefully one that could keep the rabbits and squirrels out of my garden. :)

dashboardc33, Jul 22, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

I don't. In the past, the outside kitties were ones we didn't know if they'd stick around. We lived out in the country, so the cats would come and go. Where we live now, we don't really have any. We have one that is currently sticking around, but if we take it to the vet, it'll become an inside cat at that point. We won't have her going back outside.

Jessi, Jul 22, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

dconklin Active Member

I don't have an outside cat, but I do let mine go outside as she pleases. It is a pretty safe yard for her to be in with a 6 foot tall fence. Other wild cats do come in, but they generally leave her alone. The wild cats also keep the other animals away from our block.

If I did have an outside cat, I would think it would depend on the cat if I would take it to the vet. I think they should at least be fixed and have the shots tho.

dconklin, Jul 24, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

steph84 Well-Known Member

I don't because my outside cats are feral and we are lucky if they come close enough for a petting. They will growl if I try to catch them. Most of them grow up and move to new neighborhoods to find their own territory too.

steph84, Aug 10, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

Beth23 Well-Known Member

My cats are indooor/outdoor cats. They spend a few hours a day outside. They dont go out at night because there is to much wildlife around here. I do take them for checkups and shots every year. Feral cats are different, they wont let you take them anywhere. At least not easily. If your cat is dometicated whether its an indoor or an outdoor you need to bring it to the vet for check ups.

Beth23, Aug 11, 2012
Ask a Question