Do you use clumping litter?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by catlover2, Sep 16, 2010.

1. catlover2

catlover2 Well-Known Member

I am a fan of clumping litter. I have used it for a while now. I think that the litter boxes are just easier to clean up if everything clumps together. Plus it keeps the smell down a lot and to me that is important. What kind of litter do you use?

catlover2, Sep 16, 2010
  2. catlover2

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

Clumping is the best by far, imho. I use Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat. It's the bees knees. Low-dust, nice clumping and no perfumes or annoying odors from the litter itself. Very happy with it.

MaxKitteh, Nov 27, 2011
  3. catlover2

magickat Well-Known Member

I use a clumping litter that is pink in colour and has a lovely aloe vera smell which covers any unpleasant odours. Since I started using it I won't go back to using any other type.

magickat, Nov 28, 2011
  4. catlover2

mustangsaguaro Member

I won't use clumping litter for certain reasons. First off after your cat is done using the box they usually cover what they just did. Well, that covering of the clumping litter can create dust. That dust goes into your pets lungs. And over time can cause respiratory problems. Second, cats lick there paws to clean themselves and if there are any remnants of the litter on there paws while cleaning themselves they can ingest the litter and especially with the clumping kind can cause problems. Clumping cat litter will expand and if your pet ingests it, it can cause blockage, dehydration just to name a few. Do the research and see why clumping kitty litter is not what it's cracked up to be.

mustangsaguaro, Nov 28, 2011
  5. catlover2

christy sharpton Active Member

I love the clumping litter, it helps with the smell and the cleaning process!

christy sharpton, Nov 29, 2011
  6. catlover2

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

@Mustang: The dust is terrible, but not all litters create equal amounts of dust. Tidy Cat (here in America) is terrible, and is very dusty. Not good for kittens either. Dr. Elsey's clumping litter is fantastic and very low dust. Also, cats might use sand, clay, dirt, etc. in the wild and end up licking all that off their bodies too, so I wouldn't worry too much about a low-dust litter. Those high-dust litters can take a hike though. ;)

That said, I've heard great things about America's Best Cat Litter. Apparently it's made from corn (and has some kind of smell some hate) but it's flushable. I really like Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat right now.
    I also highly recommend a 'Litter Locker' waste-management system. Amazing!

MaxKitteh, Nov 29, 2011
  7. catlover2

luvmypets Member

I used clumping litter for a long time. I thought I was saving money. Then on day I bought some of the regular stuff. I haven't gone back to clumping since then. It's cheaper, I change the box more often. The smell isn't bad and my cats don't mind it at all.

luvmypets, Nov 30, 2011
  8. catlover2

magickat Well-Known Member

I agree that some clumping litters are very dusty which is bad for cat health, but not all brands are the same. Often it is the cheaper products which are very dusty and I have found several types at a slightly higher price point which are not at all dusty. They also seem to last longer which balances out the difference in price anyway.

magickat, Nov 30, 2011
  9. catlover2

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

I tried Tidy Cat clumping litter, It was horrible and just a mess. I, or my son, change the kitty litter in all three litter boxes daily, I much prefer spending extra on litter and changing it daily than using the clumping stuff.

Micheleteresa, Dec 7, 2011
  10. catlover2

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

Yes, I only use clumping litter. I like to use Tidy cat or Scoop Away, those are my two favorites.

Wahcashmom, Dec 14, 2011
  11. catlover2

sharon78 Member

I use Arm & Hammer with my two. I like it but sometimes when the cats are extra stinky it can take some time before the odor clears.

sharon78, Dec 15, 2011
  12. catlover2

Belligerent Well-Known Member

I am definitely a fan of clumping litter. I honestly cannot imagine going back to the non-clumping stuff. It is easier to clean up and the smell is better.

Belligerent, Jan 8, 2012
  13. catlover2

SallyintheValley41 Well-Known Member

I definitely use it...but have kind of funny story about it...for days I had been smelling a strange smell...could not figure out what it was...it seemed to be following ME....so I thought of laundry soap, lotions, anything like that that was new....after a while I thought of the clumping litter I had just bought...so changed the box and the smell went away. DO NOT BUY ARM & HAMMER SUPER SCOOP! I love all the other A&H but that one has a peculiar smell. The reason the smell was on me, was my one cat snuggles under my chin on my chest all the time and he was bringing the smell on me with his paws!

SallyintheValley41, Jan 28, 2012
  14. catlover2

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I definitely use clumping. We used to use the other kind but I can't imagine going back to it. It is just so easy to scoop it out everyday and be done with it.

SheWolfSilver, Jan 28, 2012
  15. catlover2

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I used to use the clumping cat litter, but now I use a different kind. I use a type of litter that is made of peddlets. There'a a bottom tray that has a pad that catches the urine, and a top part with the peddlets on it for the urine to pass through. This type of littler only needs changed once a month, but it gets expensive for 3 cats. Each cat should have its own litter box, and the pads need changing every other day. I wish I'd have stayed with the clumping kind.

Jenny Heart, Apr 13, 2012
  16. catlover2

btatro Well-Known Member

Always used clumping litter, but I guess I have nothing to compare it to. It's just always what we have bought since it seems to work very well.

btatro, Apr 13, 2012
  17. catlover2

Jessi Well-Known Member

Jenny, that sounds really interesting. Why is that you'd rather have the clumping kind, though? It seems like the pads would be even easier?

Jessi, Apr 13, 2012
Ask a Question