Does their dangerous jumping scare you?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jessi, May 22, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

First of all, that's a really epic jump. Way to go kitty!!

I can't imagine my cats attempting something quite like that, but there have been plenty of times where I've watched them prepare for a scary jump and held my breath. I know they're usually going to be okay anyway, but it's nerve-wracking!

Jessi, May 22, 2012
    Belligerent likes this.
  2. Jessi

violino Well-Known Member

I can't imagine my cats doing this as well, but someone else's cat doesn't scare me :p I saw once a cat which tried to jump from a wall to another wall and fall down right in the middle of those walls (it wasn't very high) and to be honest I was laughing my head off. I'm only afraid when my cat tries to measure the distance between the balcony and my room. Because there's no way she could make it o_O

violino, May 22, 2012
  3. Jessi

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

WOW! I have one cat that could have made that jump before he got fat, but I would have freaked out to say the least. When he was younger he had an obsession with the pull strings for the ceiling fans. He would get on my bed and jump straight up to reach them. He actually got hold of them sometimes and I thought he was going to rip out his teeth! I have to wrap the strings around the light bulbs to keep him off.

HappyRocinante, May 22, 2012
  4. Jessi

Mystique Well-Known Member

EPIC jump, all right! Gee whizz, I was in awe - lol. I'm sure some of my cats have done that before but without me knowing! I believe cats are very inquisitive and adventurous, thus they'll try to jump from one corner to the next, no matter the distance. At the same time, I do think that they will take their time before they make the leap... unless some cats are suicidal :p

Mystique, May 22, 2012
  5. Jessi

Belligerent Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh.. I'd freak out if I saw my baby doing this! That is quite impressive though.. cats are very talented, indeed. I had a cat named Snickers that would jump on the counter, then the book shelf, then onto a ledge that we had that reached the ceiling. That didn't bother me so much.. but he was on the thin ledge, and he would lay down, then roll onto his back.. he almost fell of multiple times. When he was ready to get down, he would jump all the way from the ledge to the floor.. it was insane. It would scare me all the time.. and he did it every day!

Belligerent, May 23, 2012
  6. Jessi

BeautifulAngel Well-Known Member

The kitten I used to have when I was with my ex used to do some pretty crazy jumps. We would be on the second floor of the building and the kitten would jump out of the windw and I would race outside to see if my kitten was okay. He was a crazy kitten that's for sure! I would always have to keep an eye on his or he would try to do massive jumps live from the stove top to the window and that was a pretty far jump.

BeautifulAngel, May 30, 2012
  7. Jessi

Mystique Well-Known Member

Well, right after my shower, I went downstairs to prepare some goodies and what do you know, Snowy jumped from the kitchen cabinet onto the kitchen counter and slipped on a plate sending it crashing on the floor :mad: but when I saw her face, I went from that to :cool:. Azzario was watching the entire time, it made me wonder if Snowy was teaching him something!

Mystique, May 30, 2012
  8. Jessi

Ja'cobeC Member

Wow! I would freak all the way out. It's pretty cool to see what cats can do. My cat don't freak me out like that but he do things that freak me out a little.

Ja'cobeC, May 30, 2012
  9. Jessi

tajnz Well-Known Member

Wow, that cat in the image sure jumped a long way. I admit I get a little nervous watching cats jump huge distances. Even though I know they always tend to land on all four feet. ;):cool: I probably get nervous because I know I'd never be able to make the same jump.

tajnz, Jun 8, 2012
  10. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This one made me really nervous. Poor kitty, aww.

Jessi, Jul 2, 2012
  11. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Those cats are very brave. Compared to mine. Mine would look a thousand times before they decide not to risk the jump. The only times I have seen my cats jump anywhere high is when they run out of the house and scramble up a tree. Then I have to take them down because, very often, they get too high up and are scared to come down by themselves.

Victor Leigh, Jul 3, 2012
  12. Jessi

Relly? nervous? It didn't make me nervous at all :D It made me laugh, I love such cats' actions :D I may be terrible but I always laugh when Mitra or Tabu fall off :D

violino, Jul 5, 2012
  13. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Do your cats get annoyed when you laugh at them? I know mine do. Sometimes they just turn their backs and refuse to talk to me. Until the next meal time.

Victor Leigh, Jul 5, 2012
  14. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yes, nervous, lol. Of course I'm going to laugh one way or another, but waiting and watching in anticipation to see if he lands it or just falls straight to the floor? It has me on the edge of my seat.

Jessi, Jul 5, 2012
  15. Jessi

Nooo, I don't think so. They don't care, they don't mind :D They know they have heavy rears and that's the price of it :D

Like this? :D
    http://www.cathow.com/threads/warning-cats-falling-down.1276 :D:D:D

violino, Jul 7, 2012
  16. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yes! We have a cat who likes to sleep on the top of the doors, and the only way she can get down is to basically bail....or flip flop down the shoe rack, causing a huge mess, and always scaring the heck out of me because she's just falling!

Jessi, Jul 7, 2012
  17. Jessi

Anna T Active Member

I can see how it would be kind of scary because cats are quite brave! But, it doesn't frighten me when they do it. I know that my cats aren't going to jump unless they're sure that they can make it. I have almost never seen them fall, and when they do fall, they're really good at landing firmly on their feet.

Anna T, Jul 8, 2012
  18. Jessi

Rasputin Member

Depends how far the cat is attempting to jump. A jump like the in the OP would have me pretty nervous and awestruck after the landing but most crazy jumps cats do don't bother me because I know of the great relaxes they have and their ability to (almost) always land on their feet.

Is it bad that I laughed at this? I am also concerned for the cat but that jump is hysterical.

Rasputin, Jul 16, 2012
  19. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lol!

Yes, it's bad that you laughed....but who wouldn't? I'm sure the kitty is fine. It surely could've made the jump, too, had the surface not been slippery and killed the attempt.

Jessi, Jul 17, 2012
  20. Jessi

dconklin Active Member

I am not sure they actually ever got mad at me for it, but my male cat used to do something funny and then play it off like he meant to do it. He would walk away like check me out, I was cool right?

My female makes me nervous when she is on the second floor deck staring at a bird in the yard. I know she wouldn't jump, but she always looks like she is prepping herself!! My male cat used to be quite the jumper years ago. As he got older he didn't jump so well, but when he was young he would impress you. He would stand on the floor and look up to the top of the fridge (full size fridge) and he would just jump to the top of it with the greatest of ease. It was almost like slow motion to watch him jump. Yeah he made me nervous a few times throughout his life.

dconklin, Jul 18, 2012
Ask a Question