Does your cat think they are the boss of the house?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by Wahcashmom, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Wahcashmom

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

Does your cat think they are the boss of the house?

I have one cat, out of 6 that thinks he is the boss of the whole house and everyone in it. He does not listen to no one, does what he wants, and pushes the other animals out of the way... even the dog!

How about you? Do you have one like this?

Wahcashmom, Dec 4, 2011
  2. Wahcashmom

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

So far I've been pretty lucky. My current crop of cats acknowledge that I'm in charge. The only time I had a problem was when my ex and I had only one cat. He accepted that my ex was alpha but would periodically challenge me for beta. Then we got a kitten who seemed to be fine with being the omega and everything settled down pretty well.

Wallie0921, Dec 4, 2011
  3. Wahcashmom

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

My Kitty's Sunng Girl is the boss of all the others and they know when its okay to play and jump on her and when its best to leave her alone. Sunny will groom and mother everyone at times, then at other times she will swipe at them if they come to close to her. The others are all younger than sunny and where kittens when first introduced to Sunny, all except Trinity, hopefully when Trinity can be introduced to the other kitty's she and Sunny will get along. My first Kitty, Luna, who I had in Puerto Rico and is now with family in PR, was definetly the boss of everyone, even our two dogs, one of which she was very fond of and seemed to think was her mother but would 'smack" after we had Sunny if he paid attention to sunny or sunny slept near him.

Micheleteresa, Dec 7, 2011
  4. Wahcashmom

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Of course, the cat is the boss. Didn't you ever notice how it goes in and out of the house as it pleases? And come when you call, if it feels like coming?

Victor Leigh, Dec 8, 2011
  5. Wahcashmom

magickat Well-Known Member

Although my cats sometimes misbehave I do not have one who thinks they are in charge. My oldest cat Poppy is not very sociable, whereas the other 5 all play and cuddle up together. Poppy only seems to like me!

magickat, Dec 14, 2011
  6. Wahcashmom

sharon78 Member

Mine both know I am in charge but they like to challenge me occasionally. Especially the one who likes to crawl on tables and counters that he isn't allowed on.

sharon78, Dec 15, 2011
  7. Wahcashmom

Different cats have different temperaments. I remember one kitten that was really stubborn. Sometimes even a smack on the rump wouldn't make it understand that what it did was not allowed.

Victor Leigh, Dec 15, 2011
  8. Wahcashmom

amy005 Well-Known Member

My cat is the same way. He does not seem to care what I say either... if I do not want him on the couch and try to put him on the floor he will literally keep coming on the couch not caring what I want. The only way to make him listen is with a spray bottle!

amy005, Dec 16, 2011
  9. Wahcashmom

That's a neat trick. I used to have very stubborn cats, too. So I swat them with a thin piece of palm frond. They learn very fast. After just one swat, the next time I take up the palm frond they would run far away.

Victor Leigh, Dec 17, 2011
  10. Wahcashmom

Yolanda Well-Known Member

I guess not to this extent, but I have had a pretty dominant female cat in the past. She was very sweet and caring but when it came down to setting rules she always was the leader of the whole pack. She practically raised all my other cats as kittens and even though she wasn't really bossy, she was a true leader and if she thought something wasn't right she would chase them around the room, slapping them till they'd 'come to their senses'. She was a real piece of work and I love her dearly. Unfortunately she passed away at age 12 due to progressing serious kidney problems.

Yolanda, Dec 18, 2011
  11. Wahcashmom

Well, all good things have to come to an end. There's a good chance that she will be waiting for you in front of the Pearly Gates when you get there.

Victor Leigh, Dec 19, 2011
  12. Wahcashmom

Alli Well-Known Member

My cats are both laid back- I think the girl thinks she is a princess, not a boss- she doesn't force people to do stuff, but she seems confused if no one is paying attention to her.

Alli, Dec 19, 2011
  13. Wahcashmom

This is one cat's opinion on the matter:

[​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Dec 20, 2011
  14. Wahcashmom

SallyintheValley41 Well-Known Member

I have 2 male cats (you can see them in my profile pic) and the Tuxedo cat, Romeo is still definitely the Alpha male....but it is changing a bit lately. When they fight/play Riff the younger one is usually down and Romeo is on top with a grip....lately I have seen Riff assert his independence and take the aggressive role and Romeo cries like a baby. It is interesting to see what will happen. Yesterday, Romeo was just plain "irritated" at Riff about something....just out of the blue, he went up to where he was sleeping and nipped at him.

SallyintheValley41, Jan 25, 2012
  15. Wahcashmom

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

<--------------- Look Here! Yep, this is the boss! Even the dogs do what she says! LOL My boys are just as loving and docile as can be and then we have Little Miss Troublemaker!

SheWolfSilver, Jan 26, 2012
  16. Wahcashmom

steph84 Well-Known Member

My cat thinks he is the boss of everyone, even our guests! If you don't do what he wants you to do then he will jump up in your lap and stare you down in the face. Sometimes he will even lightly bite your sweater to nag at you to feed him, open the door or pet him.

steph84, Jan 27, 2012
  17. Wahcashmom

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

LOL At least he wants you to pet him! Bella, does not even want to be touched. I have raised her since she was three weeks old, even bottle fed her for awhile and now I can't even pet her for more than a few seconds.

SheWolfSilver, Jan 27, 2012
  18. Wahcashmom

Trellum Well-Known Member

I think most cats like to think of us as their pets and them as our ''masters'' <---- Note i didn't say owners!!! Because cats seem the kind of animal that feels like he or she is the king or queen of the house... Owner and ruler of your life ;p

Trellum, Apr 10, 2015
Ask a Question