I can't stop crying

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MissEllieBell, Feb 18, 2016.

1. MissEllieBell

MissEllieBell Member

I have a beautiful 5 yr old siberian female that is currently in the hospital for pancreatitis. I needed other cats folks to talk to.

Why don't vets work with people to treat their cats? Mine is treatable, but because I can't pay upfront and can't get credit, she has to die because I can't keep her in the hospital long enough for the treatment to work.

I just need to vent. I have been to 2 vets in the past two months and they finally figured out it was pancreatitis. With aggressive treatment, she can be well. Her case is not the worst case. I am skipping my house payment tomorrow to pay for the 2 nights and 3 days I can afford. After that, she has to leave. As of today, she isn't any better.

I volunteer and help others all the time. I have owned my home for over 14 years and was a single parent for 22 years. I have always taken care of my responsibilities. I have no credits cards (Dave Ramsey) or debts but a mortgage. I make enough to save and get by. Savings was depleated the last 5 months and was working on building it back and this happens.

Do any of you feel the same way or have run into this before? What do you do. People just don't understand what a pet means to their owner. I make too much for charity, I am not one to ask for funds.

I just need some comfort from like minded cat owners out there.

MissEllieBell, Feb 18, 2016
  2. MissEllieBell

MissEllieBell Member

I found a new veterinarian as a back up for Friday. She was very knowledgable and sent me some links to read. I am in the process of transferring Ellie's test results and diagnosis to this new clinic. She was aware of the A&M veterinarian hospital blood test protocol for testing for pantreatitis in felines. I will be in touch with her when I get Ellie home tomorrow night.

I have done research and have looked up every medication Ellie's has been given. This has made it easier to discuss her care with this new Dr. I will sleep better tonight.

MissEllieBell, Feb 19, 2016
    Donna likes this.
  3. MissEllieBell

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

How is Ellie doing? What did the new vet tell you? I know it can be very difficult when your pet needs medical help and you can unable to afford it. The vet bills can add up really quickly. A few years back I had a cat that got very sick. The bill ended up being over $1600 by the time my cat came home. In the end he died a few months later. I felt at ease knowing I did all that I could to help him but had I not had that money I don't know what I would have done. I hope that everything works out and that you are able to get Ellie healthy once again. Please keep us updated! Keeping Ellie and you in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs

Susan Brown, Feb 22, 2016
  4. MissEllieBell

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hi there! So sorry to hear you are going through this, but your last post made me think things are better now? It sounds like this new clinic is way more affordable, or am I wrong? I truly hope it is and that your girl feel better soon! Please keep us posted!

Trellum, Feb 22, 2016
  5. MissEllieBell

Anne Well-Known Member

My heart missed a beat when I saw the title of the thread thinking there was a loss you couldn't deal with and now I fully understand the potential for loss that ripped you up inside. I am praying for a happy ending. I know about loss of a cat and I honestly don't wish it for anyone. I hope Ellie gets the care she needs and the next story I read here will be a happy one for you both.

Anne, Feb 22, 2016
  6. MissEllieBell

Becky Well-Known Member

Oh goodness, what an awful situation! My heart goes out to you, that must be really difficult to cope with. I hope the new vet is able to help - let us know how you get on.

Becky, Feb 22, 2016
  7. MissEllieBell

MissEllieBell Member

Feb. 22, 2016 - Ellie has a chance but I am out of money to treat her. I will take her back in a few hours for a shot to make her eat and some more fluids under the skin. The vet says cats can do well and live a long life, if you can afford the upfront expense to get her well. I am $1600 in now and don't but $200 left. She ate great on Saturday, but not much Sunday and I had to go back to work today. She did not eat anything this morning. I know she can be saved and it it ripping my heart out not being able to afford it.

This vet or any other I have call will help without payment same day.

My sister set up a go fund me, but we haven't gotten but $80.00 on it. I am out of options. I am very upset.

MissEllieBell, Feb 22, 2016
  8. MissEllieBell

MissEllieBell Member

What hurts is she can be saved and can live a long life. If the vets would let me pay out the fees, I could get her help. She is so young and if it something that nothing could be done and the prognosisi was not good, I would understand that. It is not that at all, it is the money. Unreal.

9. MissEllieBell

MissEllieBell Member

Here is the link and you can see some pictures of her. Please don't at all take this as a request for money. Just wanted you to see what we have tried to do. https://www.gofundme.com/savingelliemae

Anne likes this.
  10. MissEllieBell

MissEllieBell Member

Yes, it is more affordable and the Dr. have more knowledge and they have worked with me by changing some meds, getting different foods, fluids under the skin and hope for her. I stay in constant touch with them. Ellie ate very well on Saturday evening. Sunday after her daily fluids were given we got home and she slept all day and didn't eat much at all on Sunday. Monday morning I had to go to work. I could not get her to eat anything before I left. I called the Vet and was told I needed to get her in for force feeding and fluids by IV for the day at least. That would be another $900.00 I don't have. So I of course started to cry and they said if I could get her in this afternoon for a shot what should get her eating and more fluids. I am leaving in a few minutes to do that. I am so scared and upset. Thanks everyone for your prayers. Elliie needs them. I am so hausted but I am doing everything I can.

Trellum likes this.
  11. MissEllieBell

Trellum Well-Known Member

Glad to hear they are more affordable! I hope your Ellie gets better soon, don't worry, you are doing everything you can to help her. Please keep us posted, I truly hope is is doing much better today, hopefully soon she starts eating on her own. Hang in there!

Trellum, Feb 28, 2016
    Anne likes this.
  12. MissEllieBell

morgoodie Member

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I understand how your animals are a part of your family and you treat them as your children. They become so much more than pets and when they are sick like that you try to do everything to make them well again. I am lucky to have had no such problems with my pets over the years. I am also lucky to have a vet who is reasonable and affordable. They also take a type of credit called Care Credit that does not have interest and the payments are reasonable. I hope Ellie is doing better. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

morgoodie, Mar 13, 2016
  13. MissEllieBell

Anne Well-Known Member

I see that title and the it still scares. I really wish I could do more. I tweet and hope someone who can will step up to the plate will do that. I am wondering what's the latest. I hate when I can't fix things like this.

Anne, Mar 13, 2016
  14. MissEllieBell

CrazyCatLady74 Member

Hi MissEllieBelle,
    I am so incredibly sorry about your kitty,(she is gorgeous by the way). That has to be very heart breaking. I have had cats all my life and have experienced having them die unexpectedly and having to have them put down. It breaks my heart every time this has happened. I can relate somewhat to what you are going through. I wish there was something I could say to make this situation better for you. All I know is that the vet you took your cat to sounds pretty heartless and seems to be only in it for the money. Is there somewhere else you can take your kitty? There has to be another way around having her put down. To me, 5 years old is still young. I totally feel for you and I hope and pray that somehow there will be a way for your kitty to be saved.

CrazyCatLady74, Mar 13, 2016
    Anne likes this.
  15. MissEllieBell

nytegeek Member

Oh wow, I'm so sorry. How very heart wrenching for you. That vet seems like bad news to me. What an uncomfortable situation.

nytegeek, Mar 25, 2016
  16. MissEllieBell

Anne Well-Known Member

I would really like to know what is the latest here. It's such a sad situation and I feel helpless for not being able to help other than to give my moral support.

Anne, Mar 31, 2016
  17. MissEllieBell

Donna Member

I am glad you found a vet that would work with you. Hope Ella is on the road to recovery. I have a friend who has a special credit card just for pet emergencies. I have no idea how to get one, but maybe someone else on the forums will know.

Donna, May 9, 2016
  18. MissEllieBell

Anne Well-Known Member

I continue to pray for Ellie's progress.

Anne, May 22, 2016
Ask a Question