Is microchipping safe?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by britishblueshorthair, Mar 21, 2010.

1. britishblueshorthair

britishblueshorthair Member

Tabitha is being spayed on Wednesday and I thought while she was under an anaesthetic it would be a good opportunity to get her microchipped. However, I remember reading something recently about the chips moving and possibly causing tumours? I can't remember where I read it, it may have been on the dog forum here or somewhere else entirely.

Tabitha's brother, Tigger, disappeared for five days recently and I wished then I had had him chipped. My cats do go outside, although only Tigger wanders, the others are all girls and tend to stay in my garden or back yard. One of them is already chipped as she was done before I rescued her but none of my others are.

I know many of your cats don't go outside but those who have cats who do are yours microchipped and, if so, have you had any problems with the chip?

britishblueshorthair, Mar 21, 2010
  2. britishblueshorthair

charlieboy New Member

hi i use to microchip animals , and in my knowledge they are safe and yes they can migrate but this normally does not cause a problem just makes it tricky to find when you scan them i do feel if they are going to be outdoor cats it is worthe having it done as there are sooo many cats at the moment that are lost and are finding it hard to be reunited with their owners :oops:

charlieboy, Mar 21, 2010
  3. britishblueshorthair

vickylizzy Member

It is very rare for them to fail or cause problems. Hope the op went well. :)

vickylizzy, Aug 17, 2010
  4. britishblueshorthair

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

Yes. They aren't even powered until a reader is in range. Very safe, and better for your kitty in case it's lost.

MaxKitteh, Nov 27, 2011
  5. britishblueshorthair

mustangsaguaro Member

I know of many people that microchip because if there pet gets lost they are easier to find. But me personally I chose not to microchip for certain reasons. First one being your putting a foreign substance into your pet. If your pet was meant to have foreign bodies in there bodies it would have been there when they were born. Secondly, I don't know if there have been any studies but my belief is these microchips that are put into pets can later in life possibly cause cancer.

mustangsaguaro, Nov 28, 2011
  6. britishblueshorthair

Yolanda Well-Known Member

My choice would be based on a number of things. For example: are they outdoor cats? If so, I'd microchip them in case they got lost.
    If they are indoor cats it wouldn't be my number one priority, but it could come in handy if for some reason you leave a door open and your kitty gets away.
    Most (breed) kittens come with a microchip and so do a lot of cats from the shelter, so it's not always your own option.

Yolanda, Nov 28, 2011
  7. britishblueshorthair

christy sharpton Active Member

I think it would be safe. My mom got her dog microchipped and he turned out just fine. He was also fixed at the same time.

christy sharpton, Nov 29, 2011
  8. britishblueshorthair

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

Mustang:

It's much safer for your pet to be micro-shipped if it's out of your possession or when it's lost. ;) But, lots of humans walk around with 'foreign' objects in their bodies for a number of reasons. Breast implants come to mind, or pacemakers.

It's for the sake of the animal, but if you're certain you will never lose your cat then perhaps you don't need to microchip it. My cat came chipped straight from the breeder and it's hardly noticeable.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it causes cancer and you shouldn't state such a thing without qualifying it coz you end up spreading rumors, and chances are you're not a pathologist. You're probably doing much more harm to your cat with diet than you could ever do with a microchip if you're feeding your cat any kind of dry food on a regular basis (diabetes, obesity, urinary blockages and infections, exposure to mold/salmonella, fillers it can't digest well, lack of water and nutrition, etc.).

Vaccines are a foreign substance too, and they save lives. Humans have wiped out smallpox as a result. ;)

MaxKitteh, Nov 30, 2011
  9. britishblueshorthair

magickat Well-Known Member

My cats are microchipped because they all like to go outside and I would be devastated if one went missing. You hear of lots of stories of cats getting lost so I think it is the best option. I have not heard or witnessed any health problems in cats associated with microchjps.

magickat, Dec 2, 2011
  10. britishblueshorthair

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

My kitty's are all indoor, the only one microchopped is Trinity which the Animal Care and Control facility automatically does on all cats and dogs that are adopted from the facility. She has not had any problems with it.

Micheleteresa, Dec 2, 2011
Ask a Question