Persian Love

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Eva, Jul 3, 2024.

1. Eva

Eva Active Member

I have three incredibly beautiful but different looking “ Fancy Feast” Persians . My experience with the breed ( over thirty plus years) is they’re incredibly loyal, intelligent and affectionate and trainable. At one point I had a mini cat circus - moms and kittens were jumping through hoops lol :) . For me they walk on leashes , enjoy the beach and car rides but mostly enjoy sleeping in my bed playing with toys and eating lol!

People complain about or dread the fur maintenance. In fact my cats are all perfect self-groomers .

Once a year at the beginning of the summer season there’s an undercoat let-go . I just use a furminator which is a two layered simple undercoat rake for about ten minutes ( a year!) maybe twice with each cat . Takes off a cats worth of undercoat painlessly ( the Chinese actually make beautiful mittens and so forth out of this very soft clean alpaca like wool) You can buy these products ( I kid you not) at the Christmas fairs at 42 street Library in Manhattan ( where we all live) .m

Persian cats will also gladly bathe … mine are easily lured into the tub( which they walk around when I’m bathing) by playing finger chase through the shower curtain. I don’t use very many chemicals- whitening shampoo gives great results but I don’t think they like the taste . Usually they just get the organic lavender and geranium oil I bathe in - they seem to like that and it makes them smell delicious:)

Eva, Jul 3, 2024
  2. Eva

Eva Active Member

If you’re looking to buy a Persian kitten - don’t buy a fluffy one ! These are what are called curly-coated and the fur needs extra maintenance their whole life .

Mine are smooth or silky coated and therefore can maintain their own fur without any issues or help ( except a few minutes once a year ) Trust me the fur is still absolutely luxurious long and feels like silk … literally.

Please also know that Persians don’t talk ( or complain) so when one starts giving birth and trusts you she’ll sit there like a stuffed Panda bear on your bed with her legs spread and expects your help . She likes help bringing the kittens to her nipples and literally will block the front door with her kittens to stop you from leaving. I always buy canned KMR cat milk to supplement Mom’s food …. The kittens grow very fast and beautiful with her drinking it up . I never sell a kitten under 12 weeks ( prefer 16) because they learn so much following Mom like ducklings- self grooming, what to eat , how to come when they’re called etc.They also get ridiculously gorgeous lol.

Not that underfoot breeding is a profitable activity in any way - between top quality pet food prices ( and a weekly rotisserie chicken ) vet visits and vaccinations and extremely expensive KMR ( and cream cheese mine love to lick that too ) you won’t make a dime …. but the breed carries on smart and beautiful and by the way is extremely healthy. I had one cat live to 26 years old - gorgeous and saying “ Mommy” till the day he said goodbye and disappeared under the dock. Miss him every day still.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024
    Eva, Jul 3, 2024
Ask a Question