Should I adopt a kitty while I have allergies?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Cacophobias, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Cacophobias

Cacophobias New Member

So I made this thread for suggestions on how to deal with my allergies or whether I should just stay away from cats all together.

Me and my boyfriend are considering adopting a beautiful kitty named Vespa, and shes precious and sweet, but I found out a few months ago I have mild allergies. It's not too bad, I don't get hives nor does anything swell, but I have a little trouble breathing. I never grew up with any pets and I've played with cats over the years but I've never had any problems until last year. It feels like I get a cold and lots of mucus builds up in my lungs, so I have to cough it all out. If I sleep over at a friend's place and she has one cat, it usually doesn't bother me at all, maybe a little coughing, but I didn't know it could be so serious until we went to his home and he has three cats and that was a disaster, but we didn't know about it until later. Anyways, I always wanted to take care of a little fuzzy creature, but I also like breathing.

Allergy medications didn't work AT ALL and the only thing that seems to work is an inhaler, but I don't exhibit symptoms of asthma usually, just around cats sometimes.

Cacophobias, Apr 18, 2013
  2. Cacophobias

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

This is a tough one. I was going to recommend certain breeds of cats, as some cause less issues with allergies, but you already have one picked out. Do you know what breed she is, or is she just a standard domestic cat? If your friend's one cat doesn't bother you, you may be okay getting one kitty. I would just suggest that someone else does the grooming and that you vacuum very often. If you can keep the hair down to a really low level, you guys might be able to exist in harmony.

blurinoctober, Apr 18, 2013
  3. Cacophobias

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Here's an article about how to live with cats when you're allergic to cats.
    One of the things they suggest is to get an air purifier. They also suggest keeping your bedroom off limits to cats and getting a spray for your cat to reduce the dander flying around.

Here's the link. Apparently you're not the only cat lover with allergies and some people are able to make it work.

http://cats.about.com/cs/allergiesandcats/ht/allergiestocats.htm

ACSAPA, Apr 20, 2013
  4. Cacophobias

Yiddo Active Member

If you can keep the cat well groomed etc. and take it at a slow rate, maybe growing with the cat will get you used to cats?

Yiddo, Apr 21, 2013
  5. Cacophobias

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

I would be careful about it. You would not want to take the cat on and then have to give it away again. Repeated changes of ownership are not good for cats (or other animals for that matter). It makes them insecure and distrustful in the long run. Also, you would probably find it upsetting if you had got to know her and then had to give her to someone else.

GavinMcresty, May 3, 2013
Ask a Question