The Zoomies

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Evilsprinkles, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Evilsprinkles

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

This is my favourite way to describe that moment when your cat completely loses his/her marbles, and runs about like a squirrel on crack. I'm sure you know what I mean--the odd loud meow they make, the dangling off things, biting and flattening their ears, kicking with their hind quarters, and generally being a little mentalist.

It's cute.

Until it happens at 3am.

Now, Zod is actually really well behaved. He isn't grumpy, he doesn't bite or scratch in anything other than play, and even then it's gentle. He doesn't beg, he comes when I call him, and he climbs down from things when I ask him to. I am beginning to wonder if he has actually a CAT, and not some sort of replicant made to appear like one.

When he's in the throes of 'The Zoomies', there's not an awful lot I can do to stop it, until he gets it out of his system. Does anyone have any tried and tested solutions, that don't involve *heavy sedation?

*Said with tongue firmly in cheek.

Evilsprinkles, Aug 15, 2012
  2. Evilsprinkles

nikki Well-Known Member

hehehe this is my favorite thing ever. Its like a kitty power boost! I dont like it when claws are involved though they tend to mark up the couch and any bare skin.

nikki, Aug 17, 2012
    Evilsprinkles likes this.
  3. Evilsprinkles

Beth23 Well-Known Member

A squirt gun. Not a high powered one just the dollar store kind. My cats would run up and down the curtains in a frenzy. One good squirt would calm them both down. It was funny because when one got the squirt the other would have this amused look on their face as if they were saying "Ha you got wet"

Beth23, Aug 19, 2012
  4. Evilsprinkles

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yes!

I have never heard it called that, so I really like using that name, hehe. At one point when my cat did this, I actually got clawed in the face because I was sitting in a recliner. She decided to run around the room, bounce off various pieces of furniture and then use my face as a springboard with her back claws as she went flying over the other side. Crazy cat!

Jessi, Aug 19, 2012
  5. Evilsprinkles

This would be AWESOME, except having tried that, all the little sod did, was open his gob and catch the water. o_O

Evilsprinkles, Aug 20, 2012
  6. Evilsprinkles

I have had my stomach used as a springboard before, unfortunately, right as I was drinking my tea. Lets just say, it came out of my nose at high speed. And it was HOT. It's a good job I love the little buggers..

7. Evilsprinkles

Did yours ever climb up you, as kittens? I'd be standing in the kitchen, and Zod would start at my ankles, and run up my back. KITTENS HAVE CLAWS LIKE NEEDLES OW OW OW.:D

8. Evilsprinkles

steph84 Well-Known Member

Hahah I think the zoomies is quite accurate! My cat went nuts today on my coupons. I went into the living room and saw him rolling around with coupons in his mouth. I almost had the zoomies myself after that.

steph84, Aug 20, 2012
  9. Evilsprinkles

So, does yours do the same thing as mine, where any paper, envelopes, card, newspapers etc, end up being a personal shredding toy for your feline overlord? There have been times where I've not even been able to open my post, and he's already nommed on the corner. It would be nice to have an intact correspondence once in a while..

10. Evilsprinkles

nikki Well-Known Member

yes the chickens will still try to run up my leg if they get scared.

nikki, Aug 20, 2012
  11. Evilsprinkles

Jessi Well-Known Member

Oh no! I have had them spill things on me before, but I've certainly never had it come out my nose before. Ouch! :(

Jessi, Aug 20, 2012
Ask a Question