Why cats like scratching trees or posts.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kat74, Nov 24, 2011.

1. kat74

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

I've been trying to resist posting this, but I can't take it anymore:

[​IMG]

Wallie0921, Dec 31, 2011
  2. kat74

amy005 Well-Known Member

Mostly all cats like this. I think I had a cat that we got de-clawed who even tried to "scratch" the couch and stuff even though he couldn't actually scratch anything lol.

amy005, Jan 1, 2012
  3. kat74

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I really like this one. Wish all my cats think the same way, though. My cats would even use my leg as a scratching post.

Victor Leigh, Jan 2, 2012
  4. kat74

SallyintheValley41 Well-Known Member

Both my indoor cats are declawed but they still have their circuit of scratching (or territory marking) --there are glands on their heads and paws for just this kind of thing. They love to scratch on my one chair and a wicker laundry basket...you would be surprised how loud it sounds even with no actual claws. (please...all you anti-declawing people, do not make an issue of it here!)

SallyintheValley41, Jan 27, 2012
  5. kat74

shem Member

I think cats like scratching trees or posts because scratching is a territorial instinct by which cats place their mark and establish their turf. By Scratching, cats mark their domains with more than just visible signs of claw marks. Cat paws have scent glands that leave their own scent on their marked territory. Sometimes they scratch sofas because they're not trained to scratch in post or trees so, from the beginning teach your kitten the appropriate place to scratch. :D

shem, Jan 29, 2012
  6. kat74

shem Member

Hey Sally, watch a cat stretch, whether horizontally on a carpet or vertically with a tall scratching post. He will grab the carpet or sisal with his claws, using the resistance to pull and stretch his muscles. Cats' claws actually play a large and positive role in their amazing muscle tone and agility.

shem, Jan 29, 2012
    Belligerent likes this.
Ask a Question