Your first cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by tajnz, Jun 4, 2012.

1. tajnz

tajnz Well-Known Member

Most of us remember our first cat fondly. If you have a story feel free to share it here.

I remember being 5 years old and my mother finding a stray fluffy white cat that was extremely friendly and had followed her home from the bus stop. I kept asking if we could keep her and my mother replied only if a few weeks had passed and no one had claimed her.

Of course we put up flyers and rang around all the proper avenues to see if anyone was looking for her. A few weeks passed and I'd grown really attached to the fluffy white cat. So much so my grandfather built her a giant multi level see through cat house in the garden. It had different things for her to climb on as well as a scratching post. On the day it was completed we received a knock on the door while I was playing in the cathouse with the cat. It was the cat’s owner. :eek: After weeks had past I thought the cat was mine but was also pleased she was reunited with her owner.;)

Apparently my grandfather had secretly tried to pay off the man knowing how attached I'd become but the man really loved his cat.:)

tajnz, Jun 4, 2012
  2. tajnz

Anna T Active Member

I don't remember my first cat, but I remember my grandmother's cat, Jackson, from when I was a kid. He was really mean! I can remember him scratching her and drawing a bunch of blood from her arm. He was just one of those crazy cats that, while tame, you could never be sure he wouldn't just suddenly bite/claw you out of nowhere. You definitely had to step carefully around him.

Anna T, Jun 5, 2012
  3. tajnz

tajnz Well-Known Member

Thanks for responding Anna, If I were you I would've been scared of getting clawed by Jackson every time I visited my grandmother's house. I'd probably peer around the door to make sure he wasn't in a room before entering it. Your poor grandmother she must of loved Jackson though if she let him draw blood.

Hopefully you've had some postive encounters with cats since Jackson! You must have otherwise you wouldn't be on a cat forum he he.

tajnz, Jun 5, 2012
  4. tajnz

violino Well-Known Member

I don't remember it, but my parents took our first cat when I was 2 yo. I know (I've got w few pictures) that I treated that cat like a doll ;) I put it into a carriage or into a basket. No wonder he didn't like me :p He lived pretty long, till I was 16 or 17, but whole his life he was my mom's cat, he came to me maybe a few times and only at the end of his life.

violino, Jun 5, 2012
  5. tajnz

Jessi Well-Known Member

I don't know if they were for sure my first cats, but I fondly remember Porky and Muffin from when I was really little. Porky was named as such because he was "always the first to the dinner bowl and the last to leave," so my parents used to joke that's why we got along so well. I'm the exact same way, haha.

Jessi, Jun 5, 2012
  6. tajnz

tajnz Well-Known Member

Thanks for replying Jessi and sharing your story. Porky is such a cute name for a cat. Especially one that likes to eat so much. Nothing wrong with being the first one to dinner and the last to leave. :)

tajnz, Jun 6, 2012
  7. tajnz

tajnz Well-Known Member

Ha ha little kids never seem to be shy or intimidated by animals. I can just picture your cat dressed up like a doll riding in a carriage. Hilarious. It obviously didn't traumatize him as he lived to a ripe old age for a cat. ;)

tajnz, Jun 6, 2012
  8. tajnz

violino Well-Known Member

It succesfully kept him away from me for maaaaany year ;) So it did traumatise him, I'd say. Just didn't kill him :D

violino, Jun 9, 2012
  9. tajnz

tajnz Well-Known Member

He he. Everytime I see a young child playing with a cat the way you did as a child I always think to myself how wonderful animals are to silenty endure the games. Most pets are incredibly gentle with children and will put up with children doing things to them that they wouldn't if an adult put them through it. :) Just another reason why I love cats and all pets for that matter.

tajnz, Jun 12, 2012
  10. tajnz

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My first cat when I was 4 was the family cat Martinique. I don't know why my mother named our cat after a tropical island. Martinique was a calico, kind of on the fat side and patient enough to let me pick her up most of the time.
    Since I was a kid, my mother didn't tell me if Martinique died or ran away.
    I just came home from church one day with my grandma and she wasn't there.

ACSAPA, Sep 23, 2012
  11. tajnz

Beth23 Well-Known Member

We didn't own cats when I was a kid. They owned us. They were wild and didn't spend time in our house but lived under the front porch. We named them and they were affectionate but they didn't come in. My grandmother had two siamese cats that we were all terrified of. They hated anyone who came near her and would wait near the door and smack you in the head when you came in. If you slept over they would bite your toes. When she passed away we had to call animal control to get to her because they wouldn't let anyone in the house.

I was always wary of cats till I met my husband who just loves them.

Beth

Beth23, Sep 24, 2012
  12. tajnz

Daintipawz Well-Known Member

I remember my very first kitten mum bought for me. I was running home from school at the age of 8 and I could see our window from the top of the lane, on the sill was a beautiful longhaired black and white kitten, I was so excited, I ran as fast as I could, she was a complete surprise, my dad had just died and mum wanted to cheer me up, my best friend had been a ginger tom who I played with every day but he had recently been killed on the railway lines at the side of our house so when I saw this little kitten I was ecstatic, I still remember how excited I felt 41 years later. I decided to call her Tiddles. I had had cats since I was born but they had been my sisters pets so to have my own was so special, there have been so many since Tiddles that I have lost count of how many I have actually owned, cats have always been my life.

Daintipawz, Oct 2, 2012
  13. tajnz

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

The first time we had a cat at our house, it wasn't really ours, but we were watching it for a few weeks for a friend who was on vacation. The first several days the cat was terrified of us and at one point climbed up into my bed springs (that was a blast getting her out, she *really* hated us after that experience). Then she went into heat and did a complete 180 and wouldn't leave us alone. It's a little gross to have a cat keep putting her butt in your face and meowing, especially when you're trying to eat, lol.

OhioTom76, Oct 12, 2012
  14. tajnz

JustJenne Active Member

My first cat is still alive! He is 16 years old and still lives at my parents house. He is the sweetest cat I have ever known and was one of my best friends growing up. The past few years he has had some medical conditions and it breaks my heart to think about him passing away. I have loved him so much over the years and being my first cat, he will always be my original cat love.

JustJenne, Oct 14, 2012
Ask a Question